The Teeth Of Wisdom
– wisdom teeth are third molars.
– Avulsion: medical term for extracting particular when this act concerns the teeth.
Illustration 1: Dental panoramic X-ray. wisdom teeth are identified by X
The avulsion of wisdom teeth is not systematic, however it is needed in a number of circumstances:
– When the dental arch is not large enough and that the wisdom teeth can interfere with proper alignment of other teeth in children or adolescents (the indication is often carried by the orthodontist).
Illustration 2: Wisdom tooth exerting stress on the second molar
– When improper positioning makes it difficult brushing. A hard brushing can cause inflammation, caries or even abscesses. As they are placed at the bottom of the dental arch conventional conservative treatment is difficult and often impossible to achieve.
Illustration 3: Subgingival decay of the wisdom tooth with gingival inflammation overlying
– When the cheek or gum comes between the wisdom tooth top and bottom. This causes iterative bites, sources of pain and mucous membranes wounds.
Illustration 4: Gingival interposition between the teeth of wisdom
– When they grow in an abnormal axis threatens the second molar.
Illustration 5: Suffering from a root of the second molar wisdom tooth
– When the wisdom tooth is without opposing tooth (especially for the upper wisdom teeth). With time, the tooth may move and become troublesome for chewing or for a prosthetic rehabilitation.
Outcome of surgery
This act can be performed under local or general anesthesia, it depends on patient choice and configuration of wisdom teeth. The mucosa is incised and peeled if it covers the tooth. The avulsion often requires the completion of a milling bone. According to the case, closing is done with son who disappear 2 at 4 weeks or are removed in consultation.
usual postoperative and post-operative care
The swelling of the cheeks (Edema) is frequent and sometimes significant.
bleeding : Often a small bleeding persists for a few hours to overnight following surgery. The treatment consists of mouthwash in ice water and apply a compress on the area of the & rsquo; extraction bleeding and bite on it until the bleeding does s & rsquo; not stop.
Excellent oral hygiene is essential. prescribed mouthwashes should be initiated only after 24 hours so as not to dislodge the blood clot. This protects the cell from left free tooth avulsion of it. After each meal, teeth and gums must be cleaned with an ultra-soft brush (known surgical).
The pain in the operated areas is more common below than above. She often gives with analgesics and disappears in a few days. ice packs coated in cloth (not directly on the skin) decrease swelling and pain.
Furthermore during the procedure a local anesthetic of long-acting is often injected at the surgery site. It reduces the post operative pain during 4 at 8 hours and allows time to standard analgesics take over.
This local anesthetic can disseminate and anesthetize the tongue and lower lip, it is not worth saying that the nerves are damaged but simply that the product does its effect.
A limitation of the & rsquo; mouth opening is common for a few days.
Food should not be hard for the 2 weeks after surgery. Specifically: During the 2 first days, the diet should be soft, warm or cold. Then during the 12 days Avoid very salty or very acidic foods. Also avoid offensive foods: biscuits, toast, chips ... Also avoid very small items that could come between the dots and create infections semolina, peanuts, rice, peas ... You will find on the site https://docteurwajszczak.fr in the section advice recipe ideas suited to you after this type of surgery.
The postoperative orders will be given most of the time before surgery. This will allow you to go for post-operative medication before surgery.
Strictly follow the prescriptions of the order is given to you.
Do not drive the day of surgery or take important decisions due to anesthesia.
Be accompanied to the exit and the first night after surgery.
Most of the time, it is desirable to provide after surgery 2 at 5 days & rsquo; work stoppage or school waiver.
Alcohol and tobacco should be avoided before and after intervention. Alcohol is incompatible with most drugs against pain. Tobacco decreases healing, increases postoperative pain and increases the risk of infection.
A post operative follow up consultation is essential, it ensures the proper development of postoperative.
Any medical procedure, very well led, harbors a risk of complications. Do not hesitate to contact the surgical team that took care of you, or clinical emergencies or contact 15 in case of serious emergency.
There may be rare complications:
– alveolitis : Inflammation of the tooth socket that occurs a few days 3 weeks after avulsion. It can lead to severe pain and require local care.
– A decrease or change in sensitivity the lower lip or rarely the language because the nerves cheminent near the tooth and can be irritated. This disorder of sensitivity is temporary (days to weeks), but in some cases, recovery can be very long (1 to 2 years). This disorder is very rarely permanent.
– An infection of the soft tissues of the cheek (cellulitis) can occur days or even 2 at 3 weeks after extraction. It is consecutive to the stagnation of food residue in the cavity of the wisdom tooth. It gives a suitable antibiotic treatment, exceptionally it may be necessary to carry out surgery to drain an abscess if cellulite is complicated.
– Communication between the maxillary sinus and mouth to the upper teeth, that spontaneously farm 15 days 3 weeks and requires no trimming during this period. A persistence beyond justifies a suitable surgical treatment.
Or exceptional complications:
– The expulsion of the upper wisdom tooth up into the maxillary sinus or behind it is very rare but may warrant further surgery to recover.
– A fracture of the angle of the jaw that may need to eat soft foods for a few weeks or operate by putting plates and screws.
– A wisdom tooth's root can break off and remain in the socket when avulsion. If the risk to pick her (nerve damage or oral sinus communication) is important it may be decided to let up despite the risk of infection (low) this represents.
In total, should not overstate the risks, but just be aware that surgery, even seemingly simple, still a small share of hazards.
It is very important to bring the day of surgery all medical imaging: Dental pan and scan (if there had been prescribed). Without these intervention can not be performed